Director, Programs and Innovation
About Raising The Village
We are Raising The Village, a non-profit international development organization on a mission to end ultra-poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa.
What started as a small start-up in 2012 has now become a fast-growing organization with 100+ national staff in Uganda and a team of 7 people in Toronto and New York, working together to lift communities out of ultra-poverty in last-mile villages in Uganda. To date we have supported more than 500,000 people through our innovative holistic approach. We have achieved this tremendous growth with the help of amazing funders and partners from all around the globe who believe in our model and impact. We are looking for a Director, Programs and Innovation to help us aim higher and expand further.
Working with Us
We are fast-paced, innovative, and passionate, and we are looking for people with the same values to join our Leadership team.
This will be a full-time, permanent position, with opportunities to work in-person or remotely. Although it would be great to work with you in-person in Toronto, we are expanding our horizons to look for you beyond the borders. If you are based in Canada or the United States in our time zone (EST) or in East Africa (EAT), and this opportunity is for you, we would love to have you on board.
Because our organization operates across borders, there will be some need for flexibility in your schedule. In addition to a starting salary commensurate with your experience, you’ll receive a compensation package that includes benefits and vacation. While we have exceptionally high standards for our staff, we also give them the tools they need. Flexible scheduling, democratic decision making, and collaborative work are just a few of the ways we help people be their best. Care is what unites us: care for our work, for our team, and for the communities we serve.
Join us on our mission to eradicate ultra-poverty in our generation!
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Programs & Innovation leads the design and delivery of Raising The Village (RTV) programs and provides strategic and operational leadership to Implementation, and Planning, Evaluation, & Learning (PEAL) teams. The person in this role will ensure that programs are aligned with RTV’s vision, strategy and model of change and are compliant with our policies, frameworks, and funding obligations, and will play a critical role in helping us create and embed a scalable infrastructure for successful program development, implementation, replication, and expansion. The position provides leadership to ensure quality program development and implementation – including monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning – and effective resource planning, The Director will also be responsible for grants compliance and will participate in donor engagement and reporting activities. In order to build the capacity of managers and field teams, the incumbent will be required to take leadership in mentoring, coaching and team building.
Strategic Leadership – Program Planning, Implementation, Monitoring & Innovations
- Provide integrated strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of RTV programs.
- Lead, develop and implement RTV’s growth and scaling strategy including Replication, Program Innovations, and Strategic Initiatives for the Implementation, Planning, Evaluation and Learning portfolios.
- Participate and support overall country strategy and expansion plans.
- Lead and oversee the programs budgeting process and provide ongoing oversight of program budgets
- Facilitate and ensure cross-team collaboration of the program teams, including ensuring strategic alignment, optimized strategies across all regions and effective resource planning
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team to help create organization-wide programmatic strategies around growth, scale, sustainability, impact and long-term areas of focus.
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization and comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards.
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks.
- Be accountable for overall program quality and learning.
Learning & Growth
- Implement an integrated learning and growth strategy in coordination with HR including gap analysis to identify district, regional and country needs for tool-based technical and behavioral skills learning for staff and external stakeholders.
- Take leadership in developing and implementing frameworks, curriculum, tools, and processes for programs learning and development initiatives for staff and government partners to support our replication strategy.
- Develop and implement improved processes and tools for project management and program reporting to support our National and International teams.
- Facilitate RTV’s adoption and use of technology and advanced analytics in programs through the integration of real-time data-driven decision-making.
- Ensure donor compliance in the implementation of programs.
- Provide programmatic reports for management and donors.
- Oversee our government relations strategy with strong KPI’s monitored and reported on as an integral part of our Scaling strategy.
- Provide effective leadership and ongoing coaching to Program Managers, Head of Programs, PEAL Manager, and District Heads, establishing an internal pipeline of resources to scale RTV’s programs.
- Lead integrated resource and operational planning for program planning and delivery.
- Manage the program team to deliver on the program strategy, providing leadership and guidance and ensuring that the management of the team is in line with RTV’s HR policies and procedures.
- Champion gender equity and ‘great place to work’ programs
- Carry out other reasonable duties, as directed/delegated by the CEO or designate, in alignment with the organization’s mandate.
Skills & Expertise
- Proven leadership skills, analytical and strategic management skills
- Strong understanding of ultra-poverty in last-mile Uganda with a passion for community service delivery. Prior experience of working with vulnerable communities will be an asset.
- Demonstrated success in leading program design, planning, and implementation with technical knowledge in agriculture, water, health, and community development.
- Capacity building skill-set including training, mentorship and skills development
- Demonstrated knowledge in risk and financial management
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English with sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners/stakeholders including staff. Proficiency in and local language of the communities where RTV operates will be considered an asset.
- In-depth understanding of logical frameworks and theory of change for complex, multi-year projects and of leading teams in formulating strategic and action plans.
- Proficient experience in program evaluation at both outcome and impact levels with a strong understanding in the use of data analytics for decision-making.
- Highly proficient in the use of technology and day-to-day use applications. Strong knowledge of database programs, business intelligence tools, and statistical software packages will be considered an asset.
- Able to establish, build and maintain effective working relationships with staff, government and other stakeholders to provide and solicit support.
- Willingness and ability to travel to hard-to-reach areas under difficult conditions.
- Minimum of 12 years’ of practical and progressive management within non-governmental or international development organizations, with experience in scaling organizations an asset
- Minimum of a BA, MA preferred in a development, business management, or related field.
- Formal training or equivalent experience in financial management and project management.
If you think you are the right person for this role, please send us a cover letter and resume (in one pdf file) to [email protected]. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Currently all interviews are being carried out virtually.
Raising The Village is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. For any accommodations through the process, please get in touch with us at [email protected].