TRAVEL REQUIRED: Up to 85%
EXPERIENCE: 3+ Years
LANGUAGES: English, Luo, Rutooro, Rukiga, and Lusoga. Rufumbira and/or Runyankole are considered an asset.
Raising The Village (RTV) is a fast-growing non-profit organization on a mission to end ultra-poverty in last-mile rural communities in Sub-Saharan Africa. Currently operating in Uganda, RTV’s programs address multi-dimensional poverty in remote farming communities with a holistic program model that eliminates immediate barriers of scarcity, nurtures income-generation activities, and builds capacity to empower communities to break the cycle of ultra-poverty and move towards economic growth and resilience. Our HQ is based in Toronto, Canada. RTV Uganda has 109 staff across 13 districts of operations in Western and Eastern Uganda and is a fast-growing organization with ambitious plans to scale across the country. Find out more at: www.raisingthevillage.org
Why Raising The Village?
At RTV, you will be encouraged to embrace leadership opportunities at every level to help shape and innovate the future direction of our organization. You could gain in-depth sector knowledge, connect strengths with talent across RTV and the international network, and participate in initiatives that allow you to give back to your community.
RTV professionals are unified by a mission to eradicate ultra-poverty in our generation. We enjoy an environment of continuous learning, challenging experiences, and enriching career opportunities. What are you waiting for?
The Communications Officer is a seasoned photographer, videographer, and writer who loves storytelling in a multi-platform and multi-stakeholder environment. The role requires someone who is excellent at creating content, loves capturing stories from the field in challenging environments, and is passionate about community development and equity. You understand the power of storytelling for meeting the organization’s objectives and are able to work both independently and in collaboration with various teams to build RTV’s brand, reputation, and effectively communicate impact to partners, government stakeholders, staff, and the general public.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Document and communicate RTV’s work through powerful storytelling using various mediums including photos, videos, design, and impact stories.
- Ensure that RTV’s publications, reports and videos are of high quality and disseminated appropriately.
- Provide content and ideation in the production of a range of publications including annual report, impact report, donor reports, and newsletters.
- Support in developing and implementing the communications strategy.
- Liaise with mainstream media to profile RTV’s work in accordance with strategy.
- Manage RTV’s digital presence through the website and other social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Youtube etc.
- Provide editorial, design, and creative support during the development of materials such as reports, briefing notes, Information Educative (IEC) materials to ensure that appropriate language is used.
- Collaborate with HR and the Communications team to plan and implement staff-focused communications campaigns.
- Provide creative documentation of staff events.
- Work with Implementation and PEAL teams to identify core areas of focus for impact stories.
- Provide training and support to the Implementation team for growing field staff-led documentation of impact through photos and testimonials.
- Strengthen links with relevant stakeholders including Government departments, donors, partner organizations, staff, and community partners for developing multi-faceted storytelling.
- Liaise with various media houses for publicity and promotion as required.
- Identify/manage logistics for stakeholders for communication activities as required.
- Engage staff and key stakeholders in promoting RTV’s mission. This includes establishing rapport with them and ensuring visibility.
- Prepare accurate and timely communications reports for internal stakeholders.
- Provide written and verbal presentations on communications as required.
- Undertake an evaluation of communications initiatives, maintaining accurate data, including reviewing and reporting against the objectives of the various events.
- Maintain current analytics/statistics and fact sheets on the RTV’s social media platforms and website periodically presented to the Management Team and used in presentations when required.
- Complete administrative reporting on a weekly basis and provide support with information sharing for reporting.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of relevant communications related databases for contacts, reporting, and upcoming deadlines.
- Perform relevant duties as required.
- Exceptional skills in photography, videography, video editing, and design for social media.
- Demonstrated skills in using social media platforms and website maintenance using Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Knowledge of computer systems and applications, specifically interactive digital media and in particular, advanced Adobe Suite, Canva, MailChimp, WordPress and productivity tools.
- Demonstrated skills in program communications, development of Information, Education and communication material, documentation and publication (including web-based documentation).
- Knowledge of best practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and execution of social media and the presentation of key audiences including donors, government, general public, and media.
- Excellent spoken and written English: general ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral forms; specific skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for traditional and electronic media.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively negotiate and liaise with a wide cross section of people, including internal staff, partners, service providers and the wider community.
- Ability to meet demanding deadlines with strong attention to detail.
- Fluency in English, Luo, Rutooro, Rukiga, and Lusoga. Rufumbira and/or Runyankole are considered an asset.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently to last mile villages in Uganda for documenting RTV’s work, stories, and impact. Ability to ride and possession of a riding license would be considered an asset.
Required Education and Experience
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as media or communication officer. Experience of working with donor funded projects will be an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field.
- Demonstrated track record and portfolio of work in photo/video/social media.
If you think you are the right person for this role, please apply by October 7.
Raising The Village is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We highly encourage women candidates to apply. For any accommodations through the process, please get in touch with us at [email protected].