Information Technology Assistant
About Raising The Village
We are Raising The Village, a non-profit international development organization on a mission to end ultra-poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa.
What started as a small start-up in 2012 has now become a fast-growing organization with 100+ national staff in Uganda and a team of 7 people in Toronto and New York, working together to lift communities out of ultra-poverty in last-mile villages in Uganda. To date we have supported more than 500,000 people through our innovative holistic approach. We have achieved this tremendous growth with the help of amazing funders and partners from all around the globe who believe in our model and impact. We are looking for a Director, Programs and Innovation to help us aim higher and expand further.
The Information Technology Assistant reports to the Information Technology officer. S/he will be primarily responsible for facilitating the installation and configuration of IT infrastructure, as well as staff training and operations of IT activities in RTV field offices. The IT Assistant will offer first level – and selected second level – support to the Country Program IT team and work closely with the IT Officer and all program sectors to ensure proper ICT functioning and support. Your goal will be to ensure that our technology infrastructure runs smoothly and efficiently.
Roles & Responsibilities
IT Support – Providing Level 1 and Level 2 Support
- Work with end-users or IT Officer (or Service Desk) on resolving Level 1 issues.
- Resolve or escalate Level 2 and Level 3 issues on request to appropriate internal or external resource (IT Officer, IT Manager, management) as necessary.
- Ensure that antivirus programs on all machines are updated regularly.
- Work with Helpdesk to create email addresses, update mailing lists, and keep proper tracking of email addresses.
Maintenance, Repair and Security
- Perform preventative maintenance on all RTV computers and network resources.
- Ensure that server backup is done on regular basis and that staff are reminded to conduct backup before their computers are sent out for repairs.
- Ensure data security backup and protection of the LAN against data corruption.
- Work with the IT Officer to update and maintain network documentation including, but not limited, to IP address, Network and Server system access, email creation systems, upgrades and changes to original network, etc.
- Diagnose hardware and software faults by questioning clients patiently about a problem and explaining the procedures to them.
- Closely collaborate with the IT Officer on helpdesk and connectivity.
- Ensure proper record keeping of breakdowns, problems and maintenance carried out.
Training, Evaluation and Testing
- Provide regular user and support staff training, including training on basic care and maintenance of computers and equipment for users which include training RTV staff and guests on the safe handling and general operation of computers and accessories and ensure that all RTV staff are in compliance with IT policies and procedures.
- Training of organizational applications and roll-outs.
- Research and suggest new technology as required by RTV IT Team.
- Prepare and submit regular weekly, monthly and trip reports that provide sufficient detail for HQ to understand the country office’s computer environment, needs, IT staff availability and skill levels,
and future plans.
IT Asset Management
- Keep an up-to-date ICT asset register by performing monthly asset verifications for all IT assets in RTV office including software & licenses.
- Create and maintain RTV computer software/hardware inventory ensuring accuracy.
- Manage network servers and technology tools
- Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements
- Upgrade systems with new releases and models
- Ensure security through access controls, backups and firewalls
Policies & Protocols
- Implement available plans for repair of dysfunctional laptops, desktop computers, photocopiers, printers, etc.
- Implement appropriate protocols for regular maintenance of all RTV computer related equipment.
- Conduct other tasks as assigned by the IT Officer to accomplish the overall organizational goals, and as required by the direct supervisor and/or management
- Bachelors degree in Information Technology or Computer Science
- Proven working experience as an IT Assistant for 2-3 years
- Excellent knowledge technical management, information analysis and of computer hardware/software systems
- Hands-on experience with computer networks, network administration and installation
- Experience in using MDM software
- Knowledge of system security (e.g. intrusion detection systems) and data backup/recovery
- Proven experience as a System Administrator, Network Administrator or similar role
Required Software and Technological Skills
- Knowledge in all computer applications
- Hands on experience of Instillation of IT hardware and software
- Strong communication skills
- Organization skills
- Experience or education in the following technologies
- Microsoft Windows, Office, Google Suite, Dropbox, Team viewer, Word press, Security (online, software and hardware), Hexnode MDM.
- The IT officer should be able to travel at least 40% as required.
The deadline for applications is July 15, 2022. While we appreciate all the applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Raising The Village is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. For any inquiries through the process, please get in touch with [email protected]