Manager, Communications and Marketing
REPORTING TO: Chief of Staff
TRAVEL REQUIRED: Up to 10%
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
About Raising The Village
We are Raising The Village – an international development organization and a registered charity – on a mission to end ultra-poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa. What started as a small start-up in 2012 has now become a fast-growing organization with 100+ national staff in Uganda and a team of 8 people in Toronto and New York, working together to lift communities out of ultra-poverty in last-mile villages. With programs in Uganda, we are on an accelerated growth path to roll-out projects in other countries in the region in the coming years. To date we have supported more than 665,000 people through our innovative holistic approach. We have achieved this tremendous growth with the help of amazing funders and partners from all around the globe who believe in our model and impact. Find out more about our programs and impact at: www.raisingthevillage.org.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, this role will lead the Communications team in Canada, and Sub-Saharan Africa as well as work cross-departmentally with key stakeholders including the Partnerships and Programs teams to develop and implement an integrated communications and marketing strategy.
The Manager, Communications and Marketing will play a critical role in ensuring the organization achieves its plans for growth in alignment with our ambitious strategic plan. You are someone creative, with a combination of tactical and strategic skills, and have a passion for communications in the international development sector with a strong portfolio to showcase your expertise.
You will be the custodian of the RTV brand, and manage all aspects of communications and marketing projects, systems, and tactics for our global work. You will lead all digital content creation, develop and manage editorial and content calendars, lead fundraising campaigns, and manage all aspects of the organization’s digital media presence. The candidate will be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment. The successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively in English and French with a diverse range of stakeholders. Ideally you have a demonstrated experience of building brands and expanding digital media footprint in the non-profit sector for fast-growing dynamic organizations.
Strategy & Management
- Lead the development of RTV’s Marketing & Communications Strategic Plan aligned and integrated with the organization’s goals and strategic priorities.
- Responsible for the achievement of the goals and objectives of the Marketing & Communications Plan with evaluation systems in place related to these goals and objectives, with accountability to the senior leadership team.
- Ensure that the appropriate systems and procedures are in place to properly and reasonably support marketing and communications efforts.
- Develop annual budgets for marketing & communications.
- Lead, manage, and mentor the Communications teams in a multi-country set-up.
Brand Building and Marketing
- Analyze internal and external stakeholder insights and positioning to shape the RTV brand.
- Oversee the execution of brand strategy, content marketing and communications across multiple channels and stakeholders to drive brand awareness.
- Ensure value propositions are compelling and drive fundraising goals focused on acquisition, retention and loyalty both online and offline for individual and institutional funders.
- Identify key performance indicators to measure and report the performance of marketing and communications activities and initiatives.
- Ensure that brand identity and messaging align with marketing and communications strategy through integration across the organization.
Content and Digital Media Management
- Lead the strategy and generation of engaging digital content for RTV’s website, social media and email channels that lead to measurable actions and communicate our impact, vision and mission.
- Responsible for digital media management of all relevant platforms and channels.
- Develop innovative content and strategies with a focus on organic growth of our digital footprint.
- Oversee the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print, digital content and collateral including, but not limited to impact reports, presentations, newsletters, and other requests.
- Identify trends, monitor current events and influencers for opportunities to engage in national and international conversations on multidimensional poverty alleviation, sustainable development, and data-informed programming.
- Lead media outreach, develop key messages, support interview preparation, respond to media requests, and develop close partnerships with relevant media outlets and channels.
- Support internal communications including Learning & Growth portfolio.
- Build organizational capacity to document and communicate about our work.
Required Skills & Expertise
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field (Marketing, Communications, Journalism) with 5-7 years of prior relevant work experience.
- Must be fluent in English and French (written and spoken).
- Understanding of the development sector, with demonstrated experience with donor communications strategies with tangible results.
- Demonstrated excellence in strategic communications, research, writing, editing, and multimedia content creation for impact-focused organizations.
- Experience in collateral production, marketing and PR activities.
- A solution-oriented, strategic-thinking communicator with excellent project management and tactical skills.
- Experience with email management programs, CMS, and creative design/direction.
- Demonstrable skills in Adobe Suite and Canva for dynamic content creation for digital media.
- Exceptional communication, presentation and influencing skills, combined with the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of international development sector in the poverty alleviation space.
- Strong understanding of programs, and high proficiency in translating complex information and data into communications outputs.
Compensation & Growth
- In addition to a starting salary commensurate with your experience, you’ll receive a compensation package that includes health benefits, optional Group RRSP (Canada) and 4-weeks vacation in line with our policies.
- RTV is fast growing with opportunities for people who want to grow with the organization. We value people who are committed to our mission, align with our values, and are dedicated to their own personal and professional growth.
If you think you are the right person for this role, please send us a cover letter and resume (in one pdf file) to careersTO@raisingthevillage.org. No phone calls or LinkedIn requests please.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Currently all interviews are being carried out virtually. Please note that there will be a written assessment and portfolio submission included as part of the recruitment process.
Raising The Village is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. For any accommodations through the process, please get in touch with us at careersTO@raisingthevillage.org.