SUPERVISOR: Project Officer
LANGUAGES: Luo & English. Swahili is an asset.
Reporting to the Project Officer, Raising The Village’s (RTV) Project Assistant works to implement RTV’s methodology throughout the implementation and transition phase of a partner village and cluster. RTV’s work focuses on improving household livelihoods, bringing people out of extreme poverty with a focus on key initiatives centering around agriculture, livestock, water and sanitation, health, financial literacy and village savings and loans, gender equality and community driven development, among others. The Project Assistant works in collaboration with government officials and community members to improve partner households’ income, promote gender equality and eradicate ultra-poverty in last-mile, hard-to-reach communities.
At RTV, you will be encouraged to embrace leadership opportunities at every level to help shape and innovate the future direction of our organization. You could gain in-depth sector knowledge, connect strengths with talent across RTV and the international network, and participate in initiatives that allow you to give back to your community.
RTV professionals are on a mission to eradicate ultra-poverty in our generation. We enjoy an environment of continuous learning, challenging experiences, and enriching career opportunities.
Role & Responsibilities
- Conduct project design review meetings with respective partner villages and provide feedback as required to update project designs and budgets prior to implementation;
- Coordinate and co-facilitate training activities including, but not limited to, financial literacy and behavior and mindset change, water and health sanitation, village savings and loans associations, agriculture, livestock care and management and health outreaches;
- Implement RTV’s project methodologies with the purpose of increasing household income and reducing extreme poverty as per project designs;
- Develop and submit the list of required goods and services for project implementation to the Procurement and Logistics Officer;
- Verify goods/input prior to distribution;
- Conduct project follow-up and provide support and guidance to community groups and individual households to ensure project compliance and continuation;
- Identify potential risks and issues, and provide mitigation measures and recommendations for improvements;
- Conduct regular meetings with leadership and community members on performance, participation, and perceptions of RTV-based projects.
Reporting and Administration
- Develop and manage workplans;
- Complete field reporting on a weekly basis and provide support with information sharing for donor reporting and proposal writing as required;
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings as well as cluster team meetings to highlight issues and success and outline next steps;
- Complete weekly financial requests, submissions and accountabilities to the Senior Project Officer;
- Take and share photographs for data repository.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide feedback and recommendations to the Project Officer, Senior Project Officer, and the program team to improve RTV’s way of work;
- Provide suggestions to management on potential activities that need to be redone, reviewed or introduced to ensure sustainability of RTV projects, methodologies and improvement in the lives of community members.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Project Assistant’s direct supervisor and/or management.
- Strong training and facilitation skills;
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written English;
- Fluency in local languages where RTV works;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, i.e. Word and Excel
- Understanding of Community-Based Development Principles
- Effective work organization while remaining aware of changing priorities and deadlines;
- Ability to work independently to accomplish tasks, but also as part of a team to achieve mutual goals and objectives;
- Ability to think outside of the box to provide plausible solutions to issues and challenges;
- Strong work ethic, flexibility and ability to build relationships with various stakeholders, most notably colleagues and community members;
- Ability to keep a positive attitude in a fast-paced and challenging environment;
- Being energetic and physically able to hike high terrain;
- Ability to travel approximately 90% of time;
- Ability to ride a motorbike would be a strong advantage.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Social Science, Social Work, Humanities, Community Development, or a related field of study
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience at the village level.